Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Door into Summer

This Robert A. Heinlein novel was published in 1957 but the edition I read was one from the Seventies with a psychedelic cover full of colour.
The Door into Summer is mentioned early on as a pipe dream of Pete the Cat, who makes his owner Daniel Boone Davis open each of the doors in their house, only to turn his nose up at the snow waiting outside each of them.
But Davis' 'door into summer' is time travel.
Time travel is possible - one way - through cryogenics. You can get frozen alive, and woken up at a predetermined date in the future, as set out in your contract.
In 1970, Davis is a businessman who runs into some trouble with his business associates, and loses control of his robotic creations.
In 2000, when he wakes up from his cryogenic sleep, he finds a world he barely recognizes, except for the fact that his robotic designs, or their descendants, are commonplace. Eventually, e discovers a way to get transported back to 1970 so he can try to set things right.
Apparently, this novel was written in 13 days, and it shows. The story is an adequate time travel piece, I suppose, but is so trite an predictable, that I couldn't wait to finish it. In places it is downright disturbing (his affection for little Ricky, for example), but in general, the tone of it all just rubbed me the wrong way. This was a very disappointing read.

3 comments:

Belladoll said...

Very disappointing eh? Makes me not want to read it at all, ha!

Adam said...

Next time you come down, bring this one for me to have a look at. Your description is not very positive, but I'd like to see it out of curiosity.

Neil said...

Before I gave this to Claire last week to give to you, it fell open and I read a few pages - I couldn't help myself.
And what I read wasn't as bad as I remembered it, so maybe the length of time between when I read it and when I commented on it led me to exaggerate the bad and gloss over the good? Does that mean I have a tendency to only remember the bad things? Yikes...