Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Lightstone

I finished this last night, and I'm now itching to read the next book...which I don't have. (And I'm kind of confused which book comes next, but before I get into that...)
This story was so easy to fall into, it's a mixture of the legend of the grail, and I thought the Arthurian legend also. It's kind of like they are living out our legends from Earth, on Ea?
You're introduced to the main character at the very beginning of the story, and you feel for him instantly. He is the seventh son of a King, but is not recognized as a prince, you have to earn your station, you are not just merely born into it. This concept I also liked. He sets out with two other companions on the quest for The Lightstone, and the party grows along the way, and the quest continues. I don't want to give anything away so I won't say anything else other then Zindell does a wonderful job of making you enjoy the company of all the characters involved. That's one thing that I look for and love in a story, you have to be able to connect/care for/enjoy the characters who are in it. He does this so well.
At the very end of the copy that I have, it gives you a prelude to Zindell's book, The Silver Sword. I read the first two pages of this, (not wanting to get too into it because I don't have this book yet) and it is a continuation of where The Lightstone ends. But, when you look at the book orders online, the second book of the Saga is called The Lord Of Lies. I'm pretty sure the The Silver Sword is supposed to be the sequel, that is the order that I am going to read it in anyway...
Here is a preview of the book if you are interested in learning more. You'll have to copy and paste, not sure how to do links yet.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=ZBUrt3oA3joC&dq=David+Zindell+the+lightstone&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=aBCgcxtXDW&sig=FUcDKiEUCQonLAT457fPKbTGJbY&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA6,M1

3 comments:

Neil said...

Claire, reading the part about how well you connected to the characters in this book really made me want to read it! I appreciate you not giving too much away, and I also appreciate that the aristocracy have to earn the right to lead or rule, rather than having a spirit of entitlement to things.
But what about poor people? Do they have an opportunity to rise through the ranks, so to speak? Like Sharpe - the working class officer and gentleman?

Adam said...

You've wanted to read this book as long as I've known you. I'm glad that i found it for you and that it wasn't a let down.

We'll keep our eyes open for some of his other works.

-A

Belladoll said...

And it all started with Aunty Jill's bookcase, and a note pad, lol...